Friday, September 10, 2010

A trip back in time

After watching Royston Tan's documentary "Old Places", we were inspired to pay a visit to Chin Mee Chin, a quaint confectionery/kopi-tiam (coffee-shop) located on the east side of our lovely island (I think I have visited the east side more often this week than the past 3 years put together!). A long weekend came along and I decided it would be an opportune time to visit.

Where is it?

Located in Katong, it's exact address is: 204 East Coast Road. Exuding old world charm, this Hainanese Kopi-Tiam seats about 20 comfortably and the entire time I was there, a queue was ever present, with at least 6 person in line, waiting for a table.

You may be asked to share a table but don't be shy. Most people here don't bite. A friend who stays in the east side confided that this place isn't that big a of secret but through the years, have retained a certain timeless-ness about it.


What to eat + What we had

The custard puff, the raisin bun (with bits of orange peel - artfully pointed out by the missus), luncheon meat wrapped in puff pastry(!) & the curry puff were down right authentic, bringing back fond memories of the days when my grand-father would walk me to classes in YWCA.



There was also the lovely kaya buns with butter which is prepared over a charcoal grill, complete with burnt bits & all, rounding up a very satisfying brunch (or a very late breakfast).

To wet my whistle, I ordered the de-facto beverage, which is the coffee. While I enjoy the excellent brew prepared by the lovely people at Papa Palheta (I'll blog about them another time), the coffee here certainly hots the spot. Milky enough and without a hint of acidity, it was so good, I had 2 cups! =D

Price we paid

For 3 pax, it was under $30 which was reasonable seeing how we ordered almost everything and also bought extra pastries and custard puffs for home. =D

Was it good?

Yes, Yes, Yes and erm... YES! :)

So for those of you who enjoy a good cuppa, enjoy a quaint (but not exactly quiet), old skool coffee shop for your morning munchies, head over but expect to wait in line. Your patience, however, will be rewarded. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment